Monday 19 August 2013

Reducing a CV from a book to two pages

So, on the advice of an agency employment consultant, I decided to tear my CV to bits and come up with a new version.  Oh foolish person, why did you ever embark on such a mission?

I have had quite a few posts in my time, which has given me an enormous wealth of skills and experience.  Obviously this is a huge positive point in job hunting - or at least it should be.  Now try and take all that skills and experience, and put it down on two sheets of A4, with clear, concise, easy-to-read formatting.  Not possible.  Somewhere there is going to be a list of bullet pointed responsibilities in one job which is going to overlap to the next page.  And when that happens, if you have the entry within a cell on an inserted table, it is bound to leave a line at the bottom of one page.  I hate Word and I hate tables.  After three hours of playing with this thing, I gave up.  At least I now have a rough draft of what I want it to look like.

I have an appointment with an employment consultant in the morning, so I am going to run it past him for some input and play with it some more.  There is one thing for sure, there is no way I can reduce a full CV to two pages.  Three, possibly four, is going to be more likely.  Employers are too bloody picky by half.  I am well aware that they want experienced staff.  If that is the case, then they should either accept a two page skills based CV, or a four page CV with full employment history.

1 comment:

  1. Writing a CV is my least favourite thing, which is evident when you look at mine. I understand why people get paid to do it for other people.

    ReplyDelete