Monday 19 August 2013

Facebook: Social networking or a holding pen for the Jerry Springer show?

My girlfriend Sheila is using Facebook increasingly less and I am beginning to understand why.  Today I posted a story about a stupid woman in the USA who was moaning about a painting in her kid's school with the quote "God is dead" on it.  The artwork is actually based upon the Arthur Miller play The Crucible and has nothing to do with religious belief, yet the said bint was moaning about prayer being banned in school (only communal prayer and it was removed before she was born) and saying it is an affront to her as her little daughter attends that school (no comment from the kid by the way).

No sooner had I reported this in a secular FB group I happen to be a member of and another member came back accusing me of trawling the internet for stories and being anti-religious and bigoted.  In fact, it was not the first time stories from the USA - and other parts of the world - have appeared in this Scottish group.  Sheila, an American (by birth, but Scots in both ethnicity and spirit), has actually been asked to post on US stories in there.  She certainly was not offended by the title I put on my post "Burn the books, burn The Crucible, get the lynch rope..." because she recognises that it was a humorous reference to the mentality of some Christian Americans.  By the way, my critic also claimed that the above title I put on the post was anti-religious - you'll notice there is no mention of religion in it.

The said numpty made the biggest mistake anyone can ever make with me - he wrongfully accused me of things I was not guilty of.  He duly paid the price for it when I showed him up to be the fool he truly is by using his own words against him.

Just for the record, I am not prejudiced against anyone, be it on grounds of race, creed, colour, sexuality, gender identity, physical ability, mental ability, social standing or any other grounds - I have equal contempt for all humanity.

1 comment:

  1. He was a douche, Love. He deserves what he gets, and more.
    Oh, and welcome to the Blogger :-D

    ReplyDelete